Wednesday, October 6, 2010

B. I. T. C. H.

are you a...?

Beautiful
Individual
in
Total
Control 
of
Herself


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and being that my life was directly affected by this disease already, I make a very important point to honor this attitude of complete awareness and very seriously want to approach this horrible disease with a very strong "B.I.T.C.H" attitude, and so should every woman (and even Men!).


When I first found out my Mom had a lump on her left breast, I felt as if my world was falling apart, because my Mom is such a HUGE part of my life.


When she told me at the time (more than 10 yrs ago) that statics show that 6 out of 10 women survive and recover from the disease if it's found in the early stages (like hers) so that's when it hit me... She was part of those 6 and not one of the not so lucky 4. And guess what? I was right!


But even if her recovery, this was a very tough test for her as well as my family and down the road I am happy to say in a very remote way it was a blessing in disguise. I have always being very close to my Mom, but after seeing that she was very close to not being around for very long, my bond with her was of total and absolute trust and love.


Breast cancer made us even closer. During that time, the 2 of us made a deal, I wanted to be 100% honest with her, tell her all my fears, doubts and concerns. But specially I wanted to her to do the same, to not bottle up anything at any point; to complain when needed, to be happy and smile if she felt like, to cry when in pain or when in sorrow... Of course this wasn't an easy thing to do, but I guess it help her realized that even though I wasn't feeling physically the same symptoms as her, in my heart and soul I was going through the same process as her...


I am happy to say we have a survivor in my family, I look up to her and even in her weakest moment, she was still the most amazing woman I have known and this process made her in my eyes just most beautiful, wonderful and never for a minute I wasn't proud to be the daughter of a "B.I.T.C.H.".... I love you mami!!!

So, my point here is, we all need to have a "B.I.T.C.Hy" attitude towards this horrible disease and act when needed, because if it's too late the process as well as the outcome might be very different from my Moms.

Let's think about it today, tomorrow and every day, we cannot put our guard down and we all need to remind each other to check ourselves and that could make a big difference in our lives.

Have a wonderful day!

3 commented; now it's your turn!:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great Post! I was delighted to hear your mom is a survivor. My mom's mom wasn't so lucky and died at the age of 63 of Breast Cancer. I just had my pap smear and Mamo. in July. Since there is so much cancer in my mom's family I stay away from caffine, don't smoke, and get yearly check-ups...debbie

God's Little People said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So pleased to hear your mom is a survivor. I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago but as with your mom, it was a time of great honesty about doubts, fears and a whole lot of gratitude too. It's so peculiar how spirits seems to be set free in situations like that. It creates space for an amazing closeness and some very spiritually connected feelings.

I genuinely feel so pleased for you.

Joey Y said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My late mom was a cancer survivor too 20 years ago but when it came back for the 2nd time.... sadly, she can't make it...... been 4 years she left us. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story and it's a good note for all ~ :)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails