Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday OFF

There's nothing like starting the week with a day off.... Makes you really appreciate the other 4 business days, right? Well maybe not, but it's still very nice!

Today we are home but going to visit my Brothers and SIL in the afternoon, haven't seem my brother in more than a month as he was away in Saudi Arabia on business, glad he is back!

Many years ago I read a wonderful book  "Como Agua Para Chocolate" or in English "Like Water for Chocolate" by Mexican author Laura Esquivel.

It is a great love story that tells the life of Tita, the youngest of 3 sisters that was pretty much born and raised in the kitchen and mainly because she was the youngest, her Mother decided that it is her faith to never marry so in the future she will take care of her in old age.

Tita grows to be a wonderful cook and with her delicious and in her almost magical recipes she literally puts all her emotions in every dish which she passes along to all those that eat them... The she falls in love with the wrong person, her love is corresponded but because of her faith she is unable to fulfill it...

There's much more of the story that I don't quite remember right now...

Then, years later (after I read the book) the movie came out and like most books that are turned into movies, it was not as good as the written version, but it was a good movie over all.

Why am I now after all these years thinking about such a story?

Well, on Saturday I tried a new recipe for flour less chocolate cookies and while trying to melt some chocolate, then it dawned on me a possibility of why such a story has that name...



I have to say it wasn't the first time I've ever melted chocolate, in fact I've done it many times before very successfully, but on Saturday I learn the hard way, what not to do.

I guess I was in a hurry to get it done so by mistake I set the water on the double burned too high and by the time it started boiling, the water splashed on the chocolate and that did it, I was never able to melt it.

So after about 1/2 hour trying to melt it, I gave up and went to do some research online. Well almost every articles on the subject says that once water touches the chocolate it will become dry and hard, making it impossible to melt...

Well, perhaps now after years of reading the story by Mrs. Esquivel, I finally think this could be the reason why she decided on such a name for her book... Or maybe not!

Anyway, I started all over again, and the second time on the melting process was a success and so was the recipe for the cookies....

If you ever have the chance to read the book and specially if you like to cook, I am sure you'll enjoy it. It's available via Amazon here in both Kindle and Paperback edition, I know I am reading it again on my Kindle.

Also on Saturday before my melting "ordeal" I went out to lunch with my hubby and we stopped by a local kitchen ware store that I absolutely love and that I had a gift certificate I won last year at some event... Well, it was time for me to find something to add to my kitchen and I am very, very pleased with my purchase.

I got some very stylish and useful Joseph Joseph Nest Utensils, I love them!


Are those cool or what?!?!? This store has so many amazing kitchen utensils and gadgets that I want to buy it all...

This past weekend I downloaded the very much acclaimed "Game of Thrones" Season 1, can't wait to watch it to see what's all about and why so many people are raving about it... Have you watched and like it or not?

Have a wonderful Monday and and eve better week!




2 commented; now it's your turn!:

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Have a great day off! That sounds like a wonderful book -- I would love to read it someday!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a fun post! I loved that you shared that book with us (as well as that YUMMY photo of the chocolate! lol) That sounds like a book that I would enjoy.

Love your utensils, I have some colorful ones too, aren't they fun?

Hope you are having a great day off!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails