Saturday, March 13, 2010

Resident family

One of the many traits of the island of Grand Cayman (where I live) is the fact that we have tons and tons of chickens (as well as roosters) pretty much all over the island. You see them walking down the street, in people's gardens, in town, at the beach... you name it, but they are all wild!

So, since we built and moved to our house about 2 years ago we've always had chickens all over our yard and since our house is up in stilts then you see them from the balcony all over.



A while ago I decided to buy wild bird seeds and feed some of the chickens that are around the garden, but every time I would go out on the balcony, all of the chickens down there would disappear into the bushes
(eventually they would come out to eat the seeds).

Well, I guess I've been feeding them long enough that finally today for the first time when they saw me come out on the balcony they did not run away, and while I was trowing seeds at them they were not intimidated or running into the bush, they are finally used to me, now they know I'm so kind of species that is not there to harm them but to actually feed them!

Also today to my surprise we have a whole family of chickens; with a mother hen, a father rooster and 12 lovely chicks all feeding peacefully in my yard, how cool!


Have a wonderful weekend!

2 commented; now it's your turn!:

Man Named Kim said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

embracing the 'wild things' around us is a great way to connect - often with ourselves. they'll be pecking on your door soon - impatient for dinner!

God's Little People said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a great thing to win their trust and what a lovely pay off. That's the sweetest little family! And what a lovely state of affair it would be everywhere if each human just contributed a little bit towards the lives of wild animals. It would enhance our lives in such a great way.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails