Friday, October 14, 2011

a fruit a day

It is a fact that I don't eat as much fruit as I should.

During certain times in my life -like when I did the Atkins diet- I barely ate any at all...

Yes. I know that is not good.

But now, I think I do [somehow] better, but still, I don't eat as much as I should.

And the thing about fruit is that it's packed with vitamins and minerals, plus also they are delicious gifts from nature, so there should not be any real reason (other than economic) why I should deprive myself of these jewels of nature, right?



So while analyzing that fruit is such a vital part of our nutritional needs, I've been thinking that I need to come up with an idea of how to eat more fruit and different kinds as well.

Now, when it comes to fruit variety I know there's lot of different types available, unfortunately in my case, I always tend to buy the same ones.

My top choices are usually; Strawberries, Raspberries (my favorite among all berries), Blueberries, Bananas, Apples and the occasional Mangoes.

So, what can I do to improve my amount of fruit consumption and variety????

Well, I have come up with an idea that I am going to implement starting tomorrow.

As of tomorrow Sat. October 14th, 2011 I will be eating a different type of fruit every week. And how am I going to decide which fruit to eat???

Well, I am going to do it in alphabetical order.

I will buy enough fruit for a whole week and will eat at least 1 fruit a day (perhaps 1/2 a day, depending on how expensive certain ones are- as I live on an island that pretty much imports everything, meaning EXPEN$IVE!)

My overall goal is that in aprox. 26 weeks I would have eaten all sorts of fruits, perhaps some that I haven't even tried before... Plus remember 26 weeks is exactly 1/2 a year, so if this works out I can do the entire process twice in a year.

I am excited to start and I am looking forward to try new fruit but specially get all the great healthy benefits that each one will bring me.

How are you in your fruit consumption? What's your favorite fruit? Have any tips for me???

Have a wonderful weekend... Tomorrow I will be buying some APPLES!



5 commented; now it's your turn!:

MarkD60 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am all go on this one!

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great goal! I need to be better about this myself. I love raspberries, strawberries and pineapple the most. I ate a ton of pineapple and tropical fruit while on my honeymoon in Hawaii.

jean said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well, Sunshine (love that name), if you like smoothies, you're sure to get plenty fruit if you turn them into smoothies. Put a dash of honey, some nutmeg or cinnamon, and a little coconut milk.

Carnealian said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I agree with pilgrimscottage. Smoothies are a great way to include fruit, yogurt and maybe soymilk or whatever milk you use. They're filling and you can have breakfast while driving or sitting at your desk.

Colleen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I eat one apple a day with breakfast, but I know I don't eat enough fruit like I should. I eat more veggies than fruit. Winter is coming so all the summer fruits won't really be available, or will be really expensive! Good luck with your fruit goals!! :)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails