Tuesday, March 20, 2012

getting the shot

The following photo is a very good example of "what the eye see is not necessary what the camera captures".


Sometimes people say that I have "good eye" for taking photos and although that's definitely important to get good results, it's not all that is needed.

And although I am not a profession photographer, I do like to take pictures and I get some fairly good results most of the time.

But when it comes to get excellent results all of the time, it is true that you need more than a "good eye", specially if you are using your manual mode and staying away from the "auto" mode on your camera.

When taking photos we need to learn the basic concepts of photography; lighting and exposure, composition and angles, shutter times, etc, etc, etc... All of these, plus, having a good camera will get you results.

A friend of mine that is a professional photographer once told me that it bothers him when people says to him:

"Your photos are so great, you must have a very good camera". 

And to him that is just a very rude and wrong assumption. To him it's like going for dinner to somebody's house and after the meal saying to the cook;

"Your food was excellent, you must have a very good stove!".

So, that's the point I am trying to make, the camera is important but it's only a device that will take the pictures operated by somebody, right?

The other day while browsing on Pinterest I found this very interesting "cheat sheet" that I think is very helpful for those who would like to lay off the auto setting and venturing into the manual mode (like I do!)...


But, if auto mode is still the best territory for us, we at least have to our advantage, that when we don't get the expected results, we now live in the era of the digital imaging.

Nowadays with just the touch of a button we can delete a picture, re take it or perhaps once we take it and it's not quite what we wanted we can also recur to a program to enhance or retouch it, right?

So, no matter if you use auto or manual mode for your photos, always keep in mind that what the eye sees, will never be quite the same as what the camera captures.

Have a great day and happy photos!

6 commented; now it's your turn!:

Tom said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I very much need to get into photography!

MarkD60 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I can't even turn the camera on before I miss my shot! Let alone adjust the controls!
I dew love the cheat sheet though!!!!

Jess said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I always enjoy the pictures you and Mark post! The theme of my entire guest bathroom off of my prizes I won from your blog here!! I can't wait to get started on it...but need to file taxes first and get someone in to put in the vanity and re-tile. It is going to be magnificent!

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I completely agree and have found this to be true when trying to take some good outfit shots for my blog. My husband is a much better photographer than me, but some of the shots still don't come out great.

Anna E said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

To me it all comes down to the transference that comes from the picture, and what the person taking the picture has "put into it"; I have many photos, that are not good tecnically at all, but I love them because of the people on the pictures, or the situation - it all brings back good memories that I wouldn´t miss for anything in the world. Just like I loved the bread with paté, egg or cheese that my mother made for me every day of my years in school; It didn´t look special, but I loved the taste of it, because the invisible ingredient in it was Love...

Joey Y said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Opps, I'm a cheat photographer because I use auto mode! I don't mind to learn more nevertheless, IF I have the time! :|

Happy Snapping!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails