Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chain reaction?

Well, I guess the 7.0 earthquake in Haiti has shaken more than just the lives of many people around the world, but also other possible tectonic faults in this planet of ours.

This morning while driving into work I was listening to Spin 94.9 radio station, and Ben the morning DJ (which is also my friend) was talking about the Haiti situation, then there was a song playing but the broadcast was interrupted in mid song and Ben came back to air saying that he felt something and asking the audience if they felt it too? Then he started talking about the rest of studio feeling it too and to not panic and be calm...

Well, we just had a 5.8 earthquake at 9:23 am. I did not feel it as I was in the car, but all of a sudden after listening to Ben talking about it, I started seeing people coming out of the buildings and by the time I reached worked even the girls that work with me were pretty worked out and nervous.

I am not an expert what so ever in the matter of geology and tectonic plates, but I do think this could mean some kind of chain reaction from the Haiti earthquake as there were also 2 other ones (one a 6.0 and another lower one) in Guatemala yesterday.



I am so grateful that I did not feel it, that there was no aftermath (well at least at this point while I'm writing this), but mostly that it was just a fright and no damage done.

Hope we don't get any more.... Happy Tuesday!

3 commented; now it's your turn!:

God's Little People said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well... who really knows what goes on inside the earths core at this moment?! Seems like something really is stirring and it's rather very unsettling to think of something rumbling that far inside the earths core and tectonic plates moving. We had an earthquake here about a year ago - totally unheard of in this part of the world - and it really had people unnerved that it couldn happen in this part of the world also. Hope you remain safe... must be rather scary in such relative close proximity to Haiti.

krista said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i never used to be afraid of earthquakes...growing up in southern california. now, though.
they scare me terribly.
*sigh*

Mark said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nice information about earthquakes, many of us don't know how earthquakes are caused. Thanks for sharing

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails