Monday, October 11, 2010

Libelulas

illustration by Warwick Goble
Lately I've notice there are lots of Dragon flies around, I guess it's the season but don't know why there are so many.

The weekend we were in Cayman Brac I notice them there as well, I wonder what is it that brings them out this time of year, maybe it's their matting season?

But then, where do they disappear to afterward? To me, Dragon Flies are very mystical insects, unlike any other around.When I was a little girl I always loved to catch them but they I would always release them again without harming them. In Costa Rica most Dragon flies are very small and have different colors; green, brown, blue and yellow.

In Spanish we call them "Libelulas" and my favorites to catch were the blue ones!


I love them, they are very magical creatures. Do you have them where you live? I wonder how many different species there are and what do they eat, pollen from flowers like the bees? If you know more about them, I would love more info.

Have a wonderful week!


5 commented; now it's your turn!:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love dragonflies! We have a lot of different kinds here in West Virgiinia. Most of them are LARGE. But we do have some colored ones we call Damselflies. The cute little story book illustration of dragonflies looks so familiar to me too. Must of had one when the kids were small or for the grandgirls....debbie

Heart2Heart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've noticed them more abundant this year than any other as well. I simply adore them and think that are truly beautiful to watch fly and land. I know they love to be near water.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

God's Little People said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Sunshine
When I get a moment I will write a post for you about dragonflies. I was utterly fascinated by them as a child (still am).

Is that blue dragonfly one of your own images?... it's really beautiful.

And libelulas - what a wonderful word.

MarkD60 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Dragon Flies are cool!

Tracita Linda (Tracey) said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hola Tica! My mom has a facination with dragon flies, she collects lots of jewelry. I don't think there are any of those flying around in NY, but I am also curious to find out what they do in the animal kingdom.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails