Thursday, September 6, 2012

BIG Blessing!

I hate getting bad news, but specially when the news are from back home...

Yesterday while on facebook I suddenly started reading posts about a major earthquake hitting the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, immediately my heart dropped thinking about people affected by it and specially my family and friends.

But then yesterday and once again, God shows his mercy and protection to my little piece of heaven.

The earthquake had a magnitude of 7.6, which makes it the second strongest one ever recorded in the history of the country. But this major disaster just passed by without too much tragedy. 

Looking at a list of earthquake fatalities from quakes of equal size (or smaller) than yesterday's, it simply blows my mind to think of all the devastation and fatalities that could have result from it, but Thank God it didn't.

Here are some very sad statistics; 

Haiti, January 2010, magnitude 7.0, fatalities 316,000
China, April 2010, magnitude 6.0, fatalities 2200 
China, May 2008, magnitude 7.9, fatalities 87587


Pakistan, October 2005, magnitude 7.6, fatalities 86000
Iran, December 2003, magnitude 6.6, fatalities 31000
India, January 2001, magnitude 7.6, fatalities 20000
Turkey, August 1999, magnitude 7.6, fatalities 19000 (thought to be as high as 45000)

Costa Rica, September 5, 2012, magnitude estimates as high as 7.9 (thought to be 7.6), fatalities maybe 4, only two confirmed, both from heart attacks. 


Of course there are a few edification damages but not many... here are some photos from random facebook posts... The epicenter was out on the ocean so a Tsunami was also expected, but didn't happen.


 beach with very high surge

a lot of roads were badly damaged
big local hospital affected

Appliance store lost its roof


this is a beach close to the epicenter... that is cracked sand!
So, remember 2 days ago I posted about blessings BIG and small? Well this certainly falls into the category of  BIG one and for that I am extremely happy and thankful.

Have a blessed day!

6 commented; now it's your turn!:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm glad and Blessed that West Virginia doesn't have many of those BIG ones. We get a few small rumblings every once in a while...debbie

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am so glad the damage and losses were not as bad as they could have been! As soon as I heard about the quake, I immediately feared a tsunami, but was relived to hear that it didn't happen. I experienced a very damaging 6.6 earthquake in the Los Angeles area when I was young, and I am terrified of them to this day.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

that is quite a large earthquake, I can't believe I didn't hear about it. Thank goodness your family is ok!

Barbara said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think that all of us who follow you were concerned for your family, especially not knowing where in C.R. they live. Very glad they're OK!

sunshine said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you massgirl it's always great to hear from you!

MarkD60 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yes, I was very glad to hear the family and property were OK.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails