Monday, August 13, 2012

Weekend Showers

Many good things happen during the weekend, got some time to rest, catch up on more crochet project (my monkey finally's got ears and shorts), plus Tropical Depression 7 dissipated and we still got some nice, well deserved rain, yoo-hoo!!!

Saturday night I went to bed around 10pm but not without setting my alarm to wake me up 1 1/2 hours later... my reason for this? I didn't wanna miss the chance to see the main event of the night, a meteor shower.

not an actual photo taken that night... source here
So, me and my husband got up after midnight, went out to our "sun roof" and laid down on the lounge chairs to get ready to experience this amazing show.... And it was amazing, saw probably more than 20 in a matter of a hour!

Some of the meteors were pretty small, others were very bright and you could almost see the "dust" cloud they left behind... I believe Saturday was the first night and it's going to last until Aug. 23rd so perhaps if you missed it this weekend you still have a change to catch some.

Other than watching the meteor shower I didn't do anything exciting over the weekend, but I did advanced on the Monkey project as well as I started yet another owl for my Mom as she loved the previous one and asked me for another.

In case I haven't mentioned it before, I am still in love with my new camera and I am looking forward to buy a new lens very soon, as soon as I get my finance$ in order... Although I am torn in between a new lens and a new KitchenAid Mixers, specially after Friday went I waked into AL Thompson (which is a sort of a Home Depot place) and saw the following display.


Light Blue, Bright Yellow, Red, Orange, Pink and even a Green that doesn't show on the photos... I want them all!! But I guess I could just settle for one, in any color!

Also during the weekend I made a delicious and super refreshing "Watermelon & Feta" Salad... have you ever tried it? Well, let me tell you, it's Fabulous... A must for an outdoor lunch cookout, specially on a very hot day!

I have to say that I am sorta infatuated with Feta Cheese anyway, I believe added to any salad can make it up to 100% better than without it... This combination is a winner, I think!


Ingredients
  • 1 (5-pound) watermelon
  • 1 Sweet onion- I didn't have any so I omitted this. 
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
  • 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • 6 whole mint sprigs

Directions

Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and discarding the seeds, and set aside. Peel and slice the onion into rings.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drops at a time. Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.
In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, and feta. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed. Garnish with mint sprigs.
To serve, divide salad among individual plates and garnish with mint leaves.

If you tried, please let me know what you think... thanks!

On a last note, here's a photo of Friday's Sunset for your enjoyment. Have a great week!!!


Just a little inspiration to start the week... Isn't nature and God's gifts amazing? I think so...

5 commented; now it's your turn!:

CWY said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

the watermelon feta salad looks delicious! Happy Monday!

Heather said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The salad looks yummy, and the meteor shower sounds really cool! I have only seen a meteor once and not a whole shower. I would love to see something like that!

Missy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So bummed that it was too overcast to view the meteor shower both nights! I was looking forward to it. In other news, that salad looks divine!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm right with ya about feta cheese in a salad, LOVE IT!

I have never made this watermelon salad but I think I have heard of it. I must try it. it sounds delicious!!!

Anna E said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The watermelon salad looks yummy!!! And concerning the kitchen machines I´m "in love" with the yellow striped one! :-D

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails